Friday, January 3, 2020

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year Friends!

I hope this post finds you well and recovering from the holidays. This is the weirdest time of the year when no one knows what day it is or where we are supposed to be. I had no idea the kids were off of school the entire week after New Year's Day and tried to convince my daughter she had to go to school on Jan 2. I am NOT the Mom who knows what is going on!

Which brings me to my topic of this post--self care. What do you do for yourself? How do you care for you? As adult humans, we have so much on our plates. Work, Kids, Parents, Homes etc etc. The list goes on and on. When is there time for us? That is what drew me to these retreats in the first place. It was high time to put the focus on me for a hot minute. I had just started Knitting seriously, as opposed to dabbling in it, and a weekend in Vermont knitting and doing yoga felt like just the ticket.

Rhinebeck 2019
I grabbed my friend Ann and off we went! Best decision ever. Within just a few hours of being there, we met 20ish other women who were taking care of themselves too. Everyone was from different places, at different stages in life, had different reasons for being there but we all love to knit. We chatted, learned from one another, laughed together. A real sense of community.

Knitting has brought more to my life than I could ever have imagined. Through knitting retreats I have met the most amazing bunch of people, I have improved my skills by leaps and bounds, I have seen new places and experienced new things. I have started a new career! I have cared for me. My grandmother, who taught me to knit, believed that knitting and crafting in general, was the key to keeping your mind sharp. If you asked her why she crafted so much that would have been her answer.  I think we can all agree that while this is true, the real answer is that it keeps us grounded in community through a shared love of fiber. It helps us care for ourselves. On a side note, my grandmother would have been 96 today.
Learning to Knit in 2003--Myself, my brother and grandparents 

My tagline for this venture has been--"The best time of the year. Your time." I think this is so true and valid. These retreats are so nurturing to the soul. Relax, recharge, learn. It makes me a better person in the rest of my life. Most of us have spent a lot of our lives being spouses, raising kids, taking care of others, working and now it's our time. Even for just a long weekend!

Treat yourself to a Knitting and Yoga Adventure. Registration is OPEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Been A Minute

Hi Friends! It's been a minute on the blog post aspect of things - many, many minutes. I want to jump back into it with a few things.  P...