Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A Joyful, Unnecessary but Fun Reminder: Knitting is Good for the Planet!


I had a wonderful surprise the last day of 2012. I was hanging out at home, listening to the radio, nursing a cold. I didn't have the energy to be out at some party waiting for midnight to arrive. Instead, I decided to answer a few emails, get some stuff in order so I could step into 2013 with an empty inbox and an eager heart.

I hit send-and-receive one last time, and there was a note from a stranger I'd heard from just once before, months prior. I should explain that I have a pretty well-known reputation around Austin as a constant knitter, and I have a pretty established online presence as One Who Gushes About Knitting. So it wasn't a complete surprise that this woman tracked me down. She wanted to make a donation to me in exchange for a pair of baby booties. She even sent a picture of the booties she had in mind.

Let's be real here: I would've made those booties for no donation. I like the challenge and I love people who appreciate handknits. Plus, booties? How much time could that take?

Actually, they took a bit longer than I expected, just because I was trying to track down an exact pattern. In the end, I found it-- a kimono design. (As you can see from the picture, it seems that baby is maybe wearing them upside down or backwards? Such is the beauty of the simple kimono!)

Anyway, I made them, I mailed them off, then I heard nothing back, then I forgot. Then comes New Year's Eve and, tada, a picture! The baby has arrived, the booties are on and, I am not kidding, at that very moment Shake Your Booty was playing on the radio.

I'm going to say that was an extremely auspicious start for a year of great knitting in 2013. I'm kicking things off real slow with a massive, in-the-round bag that I will felt. It might take me til the end of February, that's okay. Then, on deck, a sweater pattern I found years ago, very easy. And then, by April, I'm thinking I'll kick it into high gear and bust out something cably and challenging.

Wish me luck!
Happy New Year,
Spike

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Been A Minute

Hi Friends! It's been a minute on the blog post aspect of things - many, many minutes. I want to jump back into it with a few things.  P...