Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Knit Lit: My New Favorite Book



I am equally dedicated to knitting and reading. When I put my mind to it, I can do both, but really when I knit and read simultaneously both passions suffer some. My solution most of the time is to listen to audiobooks, which I love, when I'm knitting. My other solution is to remember the joys of not multitasking, and to just dedicate time to one and then the other.



Sometimes when I choose to go with a printed book vs. an audiobook, I'll still find a way to bring knitting into it by choosing knit-related books. Toward that end, I really loved The Knitting Sutra: Craft as Spiritual Practice, by Susan G. Lydon. Last week, I got what I am currently referring to as My New Favorite Book. It's called Beautiful Sheep and it was published in the UK, but I was lucky enough to get my hands on a copy. I didn't really get it to read the words (though it's got some very interesting writing). Instead, I was drawn in by the stunning photographs of award-winning sheep of various breeds. These pictures are a great cross between simply stunning and mildly ironic, though I don't necessarily believe the irony was intended. Still-- to see sheep posed in studio against a cloth backdrop is kind of funny. And it begs the question: How did they get the sheep to pose like this? Really pretty amazing.

What about y'all-- do you dedicate much time to reading about knitting and knitting related things like sheep and goats? And do you like essays about knitting? Fiction about knitting (like the Friday Night Knitting Club series)? Or do you mostly stick with books of patterns?




No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Been A Minute

Hi Friends! It's been a minute on the blog post aspect of things - many, many minutes. I want to jump back into it with a few things.  P...