Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dreaming of Monhegan…


It's really really rare for me to suffer from knitter's block, but I have a little of that going on. I just finished a pair of purple socks, right on the heel (pardon the pun) of a sweater that was fairly tricky as far as I'm concerned. Now I'm wondering what to do next, and I started a linen tunic that I may or may not follow through on. I'm thinking it might be time for some comfort knitting-- this involves fat yarn, big needles, mindless garter stitching-- until inspiration strikes, which I'm sure it will soon enough. Thing is, I don't like to just pick a pattern and use it. Sometimes I like to add in a little of my own personal touch which, of course, means taking the time to revamp the pattern. I derive great satisfaction from this, but it also takes time. And so...

In the meanwhile, I'm doing partaking in some pre-project appetizers. What I mean by that is, I've dug out all my knitting books and my stack of Rowan magazines (which just make me drool every time-- I never tire of them). And I'm flipping through, fantasizing that I'm a better knitter than I am, and also imagining I'm one of the young, carefree, perfectly-figured models they put all that knitted stuff upon, and then, to make it more daydream-worthy, they stick them on a beautiful beach or in a soft, mossy forest. I imagine that all I need to do is knit whatever the model is wearing, put it on, and I will be twenty years younger, thirty pounds lighter, and not have a worry in the world. Oh I LOVE knit-lit for this very reason.

Another knit sideline I like is all the toys and gadgets I collect, some of it utterly unnecessary but all of it fun to look at and touch, like I'm a little kid with a new box of Legos. Of course, we need something to put this stuff in which means, oh yes, we get to collect bags. I like to joke that the real reason I got into knitting was to become a bag collector. I have different bags for different projects. And when I am in far-off knit shops-- like Halcyon Yarn, which we visited post-Monhegan Island on the way back to the airport in Portland-- I love getting logo bags, knowing that some other knitter will spot me and breathlessly ask about this foreign-to-them knit shop. I also bought a bag on Monhegan Island at the Black Duck Emporium, a stone's throw from Monhegan House, where we were staying. (Okay, so everything is about a stone's throw from everything else on the island.) The logo from that bag, pictured at the top of this post, cracks me up. It's not exactly true of my garden, but I like to think it is.

So there you go, that's where I'm at: drooling over Rowan, remembering Monhegan Island, and waiting for my next big knit idea to arrive. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Been A Minute

Hi Friends! It's been a minute on the blog post aspect of things - many, many minutes. I want to jump back into it with a few things.  P...